With so much to do around the Hocking Hills Ohio Regions, we have outlined a excursion for your Getaway trip. There are many activies in and around Laurellville to make a great getaway, but we thought that we could do more. So we have outlined a few additional fun ideas that are within 15 mintutes to 1 hour away from Laurelville!
As a convenience, we include the websites, contacts and general information for the excursions so that you can plan your perfect trip. Customize your own getaway to Ellicottville, NY!
The Excursions are organized in the following categories:
- Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
- COSI Columbus Science Museum
- AHA Children's Museum
- Hocking Valley Scenic Railway
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
According to their website, the Columbus Zoo began in 1927 when the oweners of the Columbus Dispatch News Paper (The Wolfe family) donated a small collection of animals. In 1978, Jack Hanna was named the director and his leadership and popluarity held transform the zoo and animal care world wide.
The zoo has many hands on exhibits, shows, food courts, gift shops, rides and attractions. The zoo has over 10,000 animals in six different regions of the zoo, such as Australia and the Isands, Congo Expeditions, Shores, Asia Quest, North America and Heart of Africa.
- Website: www.columbuszoo.org/
- Address: 4850 West Powell Road Powell, OH 43065
- Telephone: 1-800-MONKEYS
- Hours: Generally 9 AM to 7 PM in the summer and 10 AM to 5 PM the remainder of the year. Visit webist to confrim for time of year and holidays.
- Cost: For general admission $19 for 9 and over, $13 for ages 3 to 9 and Seniors. Prices may vary and subject to change.
There are amazing muesums within 1 hour of Laurellville, Ohio for the perfect day trip exersion!
COSI Columbus Science Museum
COSI Columbus is a museum of Science and Industry that was born during a business trip to Chicago in 1957 by Sanford N. (Sandy) Hallock ll, who worked as an account executive for the Byer and Bowman advertising agency. According to the museum's website, "he visited the Museum of Science and Industry which he had visited as a boy with this father." And the rest is history
COSI is Columbus' premier science museum, with activities for kids, teens, adults and educators. The museum also has the National Geographic Theater, The Planetarium and The Motion simulator.
Check out great feature movies in the COSI Planetarium, which is the largest in Ohio—features. The Planetarium has state-of-the-art digital technology that offers an jaw droppiing glimpse of our incredible universe on the Digistar 5 projection system and 60-foot dome screen!
- Website: cosi.org/
- Address: 333 West Broad St.Columbus, OH 43215
- Telephone: 614 228-2674
- Hours: open 10 am to 5 pm Saturday through Thursday and 10 am to 7 pm of Fridays.
- Cost: For general admission and shows $20 for 13 and over, $15 for ages 2 to 12. Under 2 are free. Prices may vary and are generally free for members.
AHA! Children's Museum
AHA! is a hands on childrens museum just down the road in Lancaster, Ohio. Children can play, climb, pretend, expore and learn at the many exhibits in the museum. Children can pretend to drive equipment, put on shows for their families and play unusual instruments to name a few things. Even children under 36 months can enjoy the "Plop Zone".
AHA! Children's Museum Logo complements of their website.
- Website: www.aha4kids.org
- Address: 315 South Broad Street, Lancaster, Ohio 43130
- Telephone: 740 653-1010
- Hours: The museum is open year round Monday through Saturday 10 am to 4 pm. (Select holidays they are closed, see website)
- Cost: $6 for adults and kids and FREE for 6 months and younger. (prices subject to change)
Hocking Valley Scenic Railway
The Hocking Valley Scenic Railway is a great experience for the entire family. The railway has been run by pationate volunteers for over forty years! The Nelsonville Depot is a historical train station where you purchase your tickets and board the trains!
They offer themed train excersion, including the Easter Bunny Train, Ohio's Friendliest Train Robbery, All Caboose Train, October Fall Foliage trains, Santa Train and a New Years and Fireworks Train. They also run weekend train trips May through October.
The train receives funding for maintenance and historical preservation through ticket sales and merchendise, so if you love trains take a trip to preserver history!
Hocking Valley Scenic Railway Logo complements of their website.
- Website: https://www.hvsry.org/
- Address: Nelsonville Depot 33 West Canal Street Nelsonville, Ohio 45764
- Telephone: 740-249-1452
We hope that you can plan the perfect getaway trip that melts the stress away from everyday life! Whether you love adventure, competition or relaxation, you are sure to find it here! We hope that the additional excersions add some adventure to your getaway!